For Immediate Release
CONTACT: Jeanne Hilt
Director of Marketing
Louisville Downtown Partnership
(502) 614-4122 (Office)
DOWNTOWN TO SHOWCASE FÊTE DE LA MUSIQUE LOUISVILLE ON JUNE 21ST
(Downtown Louisville to celebrate the Summer Solstice with live music, street performers, and live feeds from sister city, Montpellier, France)
(Louisville, KY) – A little taste of Paris, France is coming to Downtown Louisville on the summer solstice on Wednesday, June 21st with Fête de la Musique Louisville (pronounced fet de la myzic). The event, which means “celebration of music” in French, has been taking place in Paris on the summer solstice since 1982. Downtown Louisville’s inaugural “celebration of music” is presented by Alliance Francaise de Louisville in conjunction with the Louisville Downtown Partnership (LDP).
“The day and night is filled with music everywhere in the city by musicians of all types and all skill levels. Music is played on street corners, from fixed stages, on park squares and in cafes and restaurants around Paris,” said Brett Corbin, a board member of Alliance Francaise de Louisville. Downtown Louisville will have five, free live music performances from 11:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at various locations in the Central Business District for all to enjoy. The locations and musical acts are as follows:
- Merle’s Whiskey Kitchen, 122 W. Main Street will feature Whiskey Bent Valley
- The Humana Building, 500 W. Main Street will feature the Louisville Youth Choir
- National City Plaza, 101 S. Fifth Street will feature Frenchaxe
- Fourth Street Live! will feature 90.5 WUOL Young Artist Competition winners and the NouLou Chamber Players
- South Fourth Street, 607 S. Fourth Street (between Cellar Door Chocolates and the Mercury Ballroom) will feature the Irish Band, Hewn From the Mountain
In addition to the featured musical groups, Fête de la Musique Louisville is extending an open invitation to area street musicians to come Downtown and claim a piece of sidewalk to perform during the lunchtime events. A few common sense tips for those individual artists planning on staking out some territory on the sidewalk include:
- You can perform in any public place – sidewalk, park, or any space open to the public.
- You can collect tips, but don’t ask for money out loud or on a sign. Do not approach or solicit pedestrians.
- Be careful not to block pedestrians on the sidewalk or the entrance to a building.
- Don’t perform for tips on any public transportation vehicle, bus stop, public parking lot or structure.
- Don’t perform for tips in close proximity to an ATM or bank, outdoor dining, or school.
- Watch the noise level and don’t violate the noise ordinance.
- If you want to reserve a specific time and place, block the public right-of-way, or other special circumstance, get a permit in advance. Please visit www.louisvilleky.gov for information.
Fête de la Musique Louisville will also showcase two free Happy Hour music performances from 5:30 – 7:30 p.m. Your Friendly Neighborhood Big Band, a 17-piece ensemble, will light up the steps in front of The Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts. The Brown Hotel rooftop will feature local music sensation, Carly Johnson along with a jazz ensemble. Although the event is free, it is semi-private and registration is required as space is limited. Go to: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/fete-de-la-musique-presented-by-alliance-francaise-de-louisville-tickets-35141052835
“We are thrilled to welcome the first Downtown Louisville-based Fête de la Musique, celebrating our city as a music venue,” said Mayor Greg Fischer. “I believe that arts and cultural experiences are a powerful way to bring our community together and to sustain a thriving, urban city.”
Corbin added, “Another goal of Fête de la Musique Louisville is to shine a spotlight on the art and creativity of live music and to celebrate Louisville’s ties to France.” To further showcase Louisville’s historical connection to France, a live stream from our sister city, Montpellier, France, will be shown on the big screen outside of The Kentucky Center for the Performing Arts, Fourth Street Live! and the KFC YUM! Center as time permits.
Download Press Release